Interactive Communications

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Be a Pirate, Rock Star or Doctor!

I wasn’t a big reader as a child, and that certainly didn’t change as I grew older. I read when I had to, but preferred to spend my time outside playing. However, when I did want to read as a child the books that I really enjoyed where the "choose your own adventure books offered multiple plot directions. These stories really struck a chord with me because they allowed me control of where the story was going. And after I was done reading one choice of storyline, you could go back and read the other one.
The internet provides the ultimate grounds for the “choose your own adventure” stories because of hypertext. The ability to link multiple pages and text together could virtually create a story that never ends. I think taking this form of literature to mass distribution on the internet would be well received. I found an example of hypertext stories for educational use on the internet in which students are split into groups and create their own websites with the different parts of the story hyperlinked to each other.
I think one of the great benefits of this exercise is the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of storytelling and how to put a story together. This is also a great opportunity to cultivate young creative minds and let them run free with their ideas. When you’re dealing with a story that can take multiple turns there really is no wrong or right direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home